Bookmark this page Sun, Mar 26, 2017
Chat >

Crop Chat

Select a Group |  Chat Rules

STRIP TILL FOR CORN PRODUCTION

Report this Message     
I was introduced to strip till in 1975. It worked and worked rather well, but we couldn't sell it.
A lot of time has passed since 1975, A great many acres of corn have been grown and harvested. When you look at the research that goes back quite a number of years you find that a very large number of corn research scientists recommend strip till as a method of improving net farm income and reducing our environmental impact. The practice is long best the concept stage but Strip Till is still not selling. Strip till is not being adopted for corn production in spite of the supporting research and benefits.
Why? What is holding ST back from being a mainstream management practice?

I look forward to a great many informative responses.
Merry Christmas and a very prosperous 2017 to all.
best regards
Jim
Author :          Jim Boak
Date Posted : 12/23/2016 4:48:42 PM
Re: STRIP TILL FOR CORN PRODUCTION Report this Message    |   Reply to this Message
I think the biggest problem is the cost of equipment the Right rigs that apply nutrients are ridiculously priced .. and Technology is not cheep..
Date Posted : 1/16/2017 7:06:22 PM
Re: STRIP TILL FOR CORN PRODUCTION Report this Message    |   Reply to this Message
As a practitioner, testicular fortitude is whats holding people back, compare a strip till rig to a disc/ min till operation, half the cost not to mention operator fatigue and precision fert placement less fill ups......
Fuel..
Date Posted : 1/23/2017 7:47:45 PM
If you already have a Farms.com account, pleaselogin first. If you do not have a Farms.com account you can post using the form below.

Topic: * 

Display Name: *
E-mail: *
Your E-mail address will not be displayed to users. Only your Display Name will be visible.
Password:
If you allready have a Farms.com account, please enter your password. If you do not have an account, you can leave this field blank
Link/URL: 
Verify Your Chat:
Enter the code in the image

Sponsored Links: Highest Yielding Soybeans,PigCHAMP Grow-Finish,Precision Agriculture, Swine Reproduction Software,