News


  

Percentage of mature U.S. corn doubles in one week (Sep 07, 2017)

Percentage of mature U.S. corn doubles in one week

Number still below the five-year average

By Diego Flammini
Assistant Editor, North American Content
Farms.com

The U.S. corn crop is maturing quickly, according to the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) latest Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin.

USDA reported that 12 percent of the total corn crop is mature. That number is up from 6 percent last week but still shy of the five-year average at 18 percent.

On a state level, North Carolina has the largest percentage of mature corn at 83 percent, up from last week’s 72 percent.

The corn crops in South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Michigan are only 1 percent mature.

USDA also ranked 48 percent of the U.S. corn crop as good.

Soybeans

11 percent of the total soybean crop has dropped its leaves, according to the USDA’s report. That number is up from 6 percent last week.

The soybean crop in Louisiana has dropped 64 percent of its leaves, which is the highest state among the 18 states recorded.

None of the soybean crop in Wisconsin has dropped its leaves, according to the USDA. At this time last year, 5 percent of the state’s soybean crop had dropped its leaves.

USDA ranked 50 percent of the total U.S. soybean crop as good.

Wheat

Farmers have harvested 89 percent of the U.S. spring wheat crop.

That number is up from 76 percent the week before and up from the five-year average of 78 percent.

Growers in South Dakota have completed 97 percent of their spring wheat harvest, the highest percentage of the six states recorded.

Farmers in Washington and Idaho have completed 88 percent of their spring wheat harvests. These states have the lowest percentages of the six states documented, according to the USDA.

Suitable fieldwork days

The states with the most suitable fieldwork days for the week ending September 3 were:

New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Massachusetts – 7

Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and Maine – 6.9

The states with the fewest suitable fieldwork days were:

Louisiana – 1.8

Mississippi – 3.3

Tennessee – 3.8

Weekly precipitation levels

State

Precipitation (inches)

Weather Station

Illinois

2.48

Rockford

Indiana

2.13

Fort Wayne

Iowa

2.40

Burlington

Kentucky

4.22

Louisville

Michigan

0.39

Traverse City

Missouri

0.87

Saint Louis

New York

0.22

Binghamton

Pennsylvania

1.26

Middletown

Tennessee

5.04

Nashville

The next Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin is scheduled for release on Tues., Sept. 12.



 
Comments
Name: * 
Email: * 
Your email address will not be published
Comments: * 
Enter the code shown above:
 
Browse by subject: