Seeding nearly complete across Manitoba
Some dairy producers are starting their first hay cuts
By Diego Flammini
Assistant Editor, North American Content
Seeding is between 95 and 100 per cent finished across Manitoba, according to Manitoba Agriculture’s June 12 Crop Report.
The only outlier in the province is The Pas, where about 15 per cent of seeding is complete.
Many producers have applied at least one herbicide application, but strong winds have restricted applications to early morning or late evening.
Argue, Bede, Birtle, Boissevain, Carberry CMCDC, Cartwright, Clearwater, Deloraine, Findlay, Forrest MZTRA, Glenboro, Hamiota, Killarney, Kola, Minnedosa, Minto, Mountainside, Ninette, Oakburn, Pierson, Reston, Russell, Souris, St. Lazare, Virden, Waskada, Wawanesa
- Seeding is between 95 and 100 per cent complete in the region.Almost 50 per cent of weed control measures have been completed.
- Between 50 and 60 per cent of winter wheat is heading.
- Early seeded canola is at the 3 to 4 leaf or rosette stage.
- Some canola has been sprayed for flea beetle control.
- Soybean crops are in the 1 to 2 trifoliate stage and corn is at the 1 to 3 leaf stage.
- 44.5 mm of rain fell in Restonwado over the past week.
Alonsa, Drifting River, Ethelbert, Fork River, Grandview, Inglis, Keld, Minitonas, Pipelake, Rorketon, Ruthenia, San Clara, Ste. Rose, Swan Valley
- Seeding is between 90 and per cent complete.
- But due to excessive moisture, The Pas has less than 15 per cent seeded.
- Across the region, 100 per cent of canola is seeded with about half in the seedling stage.
- 75 per cent of the soybean crop is in the vegetative stage.
- 34.3mm of rain fell in The Pas in over the last week.
Altona, Baldur, Brunkild, Carman, Elm Creek, Gladstone, Kane, Letellier, Manitou, Morris, Portage East, Snowflake, Somerset, Starbuck, Treherne, Windygates, Winkler CMCDC
- Overall seeding completion undocumented.
- Strong winds left producers with poor crop residue cover.
- Most cereals are at the 4 to 6 leaf stage.
- Canola is beginning to germinate, with most in the 4 leaf to rosette stage.
- Cooler temperatures have led to slow emergence and flea beetle injury in some fields.
- Dairy producers have started haying.
- 50.3mm of rain fell in Baldur within the last week.
Beausejour, Dugald, Elma, Gardenton, Menisino, St. Adolphe, St. Pierre, Steinbach, Vivian, Zhoda
- Regional seeding completion undocumented.
- First-pass application of herbicides have taken place on cereals, canola, soybeans, corn and sunflower.
- Cutworm damage in soybeans has been reported, along with flea beetle damage in canola.
- Grasshopper damage could occur without timely rain.
- Spring cereals are in the 5 to 6 leaf stage with 2 to 3 tillers.
- 25.3mm of rain fell in Sprague in the past week.
Arborg, Eriksdale, Fisherton, Inwood, Moosehorn, Narcisse, Selkirk, Taylor's Point, Teulon, Woodlands
- Overall regional seeding completion undocumented.
- Most cereals are between the 4 to 6 leaf stage with 1 to 3 tillers.
- Canola is around the 3 to 6 leaf stage.
- Soybeans are at the 1 to 2 trifoliate stage.
- Corn is at the 3 to 6 leaf stage.
- 8.3mm of rain fell in Moosehorn in the past week.