He will report to Agriculture and Irrigation Minister RJ Sigurdson
By Diego Flammini
Premier Danielle Smith appointed the MLA for Taber-Warner as one of eight parliamentary secretaries.
Grant Hunter, who’s represented the riding since 2015, is the parliamentary secretary for agrifood development and will report to Agriculture and Irrigation Minister RJ Sigurdson.
As parliamentary secretary, Hunter will assist Minister Sigurdson in carrying out his duties and can speak on the minister’s behalf in the provincial legislature when the minister is absent.
Hunter has also shown his support for the ag sector.
"Grant has been working for the past two years on building a super-cluster of agri-food processors in Southern Alberta," his UCP profile says.
Hunter previously served as the associate minister of red tape reduction in 2019.
In 2020, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business presented Hunter with the Golden Scissors Award for cutting red rape.
In that role, he also helped Alberta earn an A grade from the CFIB in January 2021 for red tape. The province previously had a B-minus.
In the most recent legislative session, he sponsored multiple bills aimed at reducing red tape, as well as amendments to gaming, liquor and cannabis law.
The other parliamentary secretaries are:
- Jackie Armstrong-Homeniuk, Parliamentary Secretary for Settlement Services and Ukrainian Evacuees reporting to the Minister of Immigration and Multiculturalism
- Andrew Boitchenko, Parliamentary Secretary for Indigenous Relations, reporting to the Minister of Indigenous Relations
- Chantelle de Jonge, Parliamentary Secretary for Affordability and Utilities, reporting to the Minister of Affordability and Utilities
- Shane Getson, Parliamentary Secretary for Economic Corridor Development, reporting to the Minister of Intergovernmental Relations
- Martin Long, Parliamentary Secretary for Rural Health, reporting to the Minister of Health
- Scott Sinclair, Parliamentary Secretary for Indigenous Policing, reporting to the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Services
- Tany Yao, Parliamentary Secretary for Small Business and Northern Development, reporting to the Minister of Jobs, Economy and Trade