Home   Ag Industry News

Ag community weighs in on NHL’s Battle of Alberta

Ag community weighs in on NHL’s Battle of Alberta

A poll shows most respondents are cheering for the Calgary Flames

By Diego Flammini
Staff Writer

The battle lines for the Battle of Alberta in the second round of the NHL playoffs have been drawn.

The Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames haven’t played one another in a playoff series since 1991.

Leading up to game one on Wednesday night, issued a poll to members of the ag community to find out where allegiances lie during the series.

Of 42 responses, 54.8 per cent, or 23 participants, are supporting the Calgary Flames. The other 45.2 per cent, or 19 respondents, are cheering for the Edmonton Oilers.

Now that farmers have voiced their support for each team, wants to see that support.

Farmers are encouraged to post photos of themselves or pieces of farm equipment sporting the colours of either the Flames or the Oilers.

“We know how passionate farmers are when it comes to showing support for their favourite agribusinesses or equipment brands,” said Ryan Ridley, marketing and PR specialist with “We also know how passionate hockey fans are, so we’re hoping we can combine the two to see who will have bragging rights at the end of the series.”

Some members of the ag community have already posted such photos.

This includes Flames Head Coach Darryl Sutter.

The official Twitter account of the Calgary Flames shared a photo of John Deere equipment with a Calgary Flames flag.

“A new addition to Darryl’s tractor in Viking,” the May 17 post says.

And about one month earlier, an Alberta farmer posted a photo of the start of the 2022 planting season.

That photo, shared by producer Spencer Hilton, also shows John Deere machinery flying the flag of the Calgary Flames.

Need more ag connections to hockey?

Check out this list of seven hockey players who grew up on farms in Western Canada.

Trending Video

Holistic Stewardship: shared responsibility, shared benefits

Video: Holistic Stewardship: shared responsibility, shared benefits

Corteva Agriscience’s Bill Belzer, Global Stewardship Director with Corteva Agriscience, talks about ensuring product durability — what it means, who is responsible, and how to implement it across the seed value chain — in this Seed World Visits interview.


Your email address will not be published