Farms.com Home   Ag Industry News

Olymel closing Vallée-Jonction processing facility

Olymel closing Vallée-Jonction processing facility

The closure will result in 994 people losing their jobs

By Diego Flammini
Staff Writer
Farms.com

Another Olymel pork processing facility in Quebec is closing in 2023.

The company announced on April 14 it will close the processing, cutting and deboning plant in Vallée-Jonction in December, resulting in 994 lost jobs.

This announcement comes after Olymel’s decision to close its facilities in Blainville and Laval. Those two locations will close on April 28.

Profitability played into the recent decision to shutter the Vallée-Jonction location.

“The decision was necessary to stop losses in the fresh pork sector, which have amounted to more than $400 million over the past two years and are jeopardizing the entire company's profitability,” the company said in a statement.

The company will reduce its annual processing capacity by about 1.5 million annually.

Olymel says its locations in Saint-Esprit, Yamachiche and Ange-Gardien will help it “be in a better position to reach the (processing) capacity that has already adjusted from 140,000 to 81,000 hogs per week.”

Pork producers are concerned about the Olymel closures.

“This is a very difficult day for the pork sector in Atlantic Canada,” Denise Cassidy, executive director of the P.E.I. Hog Commodity Marketing Board, told CBC. “This will cause an oversupply situation for all the producers in Atlantic Canada.”

Atlantic Canada doesn’t have any federally regulated pork processing facilities.

Pork producers from that part of the country relied on Quebec’s capacity to process their hogs.

Producers in Atlantic Canada will have to get creative to find opportunities for their hogs, Cassidy said.

“We’ll reach out to all partners in our industry, and work with the government to see if we can find alternative buyers for our hogs, and for the affected producers of the day,” she told CBC.

The provincial government vows to support the pork sector.

“Soon, news will come to ensure the sustainability of the sector,” André Lamontagne, Quebec’s minister of agriculture, said on Twitter.

Farms.com has contacted the Canadian Pork Council for comment.


Trending Video

Reducing Nursery Feed Costs Without Losing Performance - Dr. Julian Arroyave

Video: Reducing Nursery Feed Costs Without Losing Performance - Dr. Julian Arroyave


In this episode of The Swine Nutrition Blackbelt Podcast, Dr. Julian Arroyave, a research swine nutritionist at Carthage Innovative Swine Solutions, discusses nursery feed budget strategies designed to reduce costs without compromising pig performance. He explains trials comparing high, medium, and low phase 1 and phase 2 feed budgets, including commercial validation data showing improved income over feed cost when lower-budget programs were applied under healthy herd conditions. Listen now on all major platforms!

Click here to read the full research article: https://academic.oup.com/tas/article/...

"Results showed that the low-budget program increased income over feed cost by $1.48 per pig."

Meet the guest: Dr. Julian Arroyave / julian-arroyave-jaramillo-638740129 is a research swine nutritionist at Carthage Innovative Swine Solutions, with experience in nursery nutrition, diet formulation, and commercial research trials. He completed his PhD at Kansas State University and previously worked as a nutrition supervisor at Kekén in Mexico. His work focuses on nutritional strategies that improve production efficiency while controlling feed costs. Learn more from Dr. Julian Arroyave Jaramillo on The Swine Nutrition Blackbelt Podcast, available on all major platforms.