TORONTO - The upcoming holiday season is a great time to celebrate with friends and family. Shopping local for Ontario-grown and produced food, beverages and other goods can simplify your preparations and supports local businesses and farmers across the province.
As people prepare to celebrate, Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, is encouraging everyone to choose local Ontario foods, beverages and products as a part of their festivities.
"When you celebrate this holiday season, I encourage you to support hardworking Ontario farmers by choosing Ontario grown and made food for your family, friends and all your loved ones," said Hardeman. "Giving the gift of local this holiday supports our farmers, our producers and our economy."
It's easy to infuse your holiday plans with locally grown and made food and beverages. A few fun ideas include:
Source : Ontario
- Shopping for local turkey, prime rib and vegetables at a farmers' market, on-farm markets, butcher shops and grocery stores
- Decorating your home with fresh, seasonal greenery and flowers
- Picking up delicious treats like Ontario maple syrup and honey for easy hosting gifts
- Meeting with friends at restaurants dedicated to local fare
- Celebrating responsibly with Ontario craft beer, cider and VQA wines
- Indulging with locally made delectable treats like Ferrero Rocher or local baked goods.