Farms.com Home   Ag Industry News

Saskatchewan investing in ag pest control

Saskatchewan investing in ag pest control

The Pest Biosecurity Program will receive $2.85 million annually

By Diego Flammini
Staff Writer
Farms.com

Canadian governments are making investments to help Saskatchewan farmers manage agricultural pests.

A new Pest Biosecurity Program will receive $2.85 million annually from the Canadian Agricultural Partnership between the governments of Canada and Saskatchewan.

The Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities will deliver the program. It will develop a network of Plant Health Officers across Saskatchewan and provide three rebate programs to help minimize the impact of ag pests.

“Farmers know that pests can be a significant liability to the environment and the economy,” Lawrence MacAulay, federal agriculture minister, said in a release Thursday.  “This funding will ensure local programming exists to mitigate pest issues, helping Canadian growers protect their agricultural crops and keep their businesses strong.”

A total of 12 Plant Health Officers (six full-time and six seasonal) will monitor, survey and report on pests and weeds. They will also provide farmers with necessary training to ensure a consistent management approach.

These programs will give Saskatchewan farmers “access to the training and tools they need to protect their livelihoods and be responsible stewards of the land,” Lyle Stewart, Saskatchewan’s agriculture minister, said in yesterday’s release.

The three rebate programs are cost-shared up to 50 per cent between First Nations and rural communities.

The Invasive Plant Control Program will provide up to $500,000 in annual rebates to producers to support the costs of herbicides.

The Rat Control Program will supply bait rebates up to $500,000 per year. The Beaver Control Program will provide up to $450,000 in annual rebates for hiring licensed professionals to remove beavers humanely.

ImagineGolf/iStock/Getty Images Plus photo


Trending Video

US “Flash Drought” Worst in 133-160 Years + Disease taking a Bite out of US 2025 Corn/Soybean Crops

Video: US “Flash Drought” Worst in 133-160 Years + Disease taking a Bite out of US 2025 Corn/Soybean Crops


A dry August and a “flash drought” in the ECB (Eastern Corn Belt) the driest top 10 to 15 years in 150 to 160 years (Ohio the driest in 133 years) plus disease is taking a bite out of the 2025 U.S. corn and soybean crops.
It's going to be an early harvest. This could be the start of the 89-year drought cycle that may have been delayed until 2026 as La Nina maybe returning.
The USDA September crop report is all about record corn ears and record soybean counts but the October USDA crop report will be about pod and ear weights.
Stats Canada reported higher forecasts for the 2025 Canadian Prairies all wheat and canola crops vs. last year based on satellite imagery but are they overestimating production?
The 2025 Great ON Yield Tour and Quebec crop tours are projecting corn and soybean crops below the 10-year average.
China's Vice Commerce Ministry Li Chenggang visits Washington this week as we continue to connect the dots is a positive sign towards a China/U.S. trade deal. But will U.S. farmers have a winter without China as they buy more soybeans from Uruguay/Argentina? U.S. Northern Plain soybean farmers are seeing red with flat prices at $8.97/bu!
U.S. corn exports on record pace up 99% vs. last year.
Fund short covering continues in corn futures bottom is in!