Alexis takes over for Lana Popham
By Diego Flammini
British Columbia’s ag community has a new representative in the provincial legislature.
Premier David Eby announced Pam Alexis, the MLA for Abbotsford-Mission, will be the minister of agriculture and food in his cabinet.
Her appointment is a “huge promotion from the backbench,” Rob Shaw, a political correspondent with CHEK News, said on Twitter.
In total, Eby’s cabinet is made up of 23 ministers and four ministers of state.
Alexis takes over for Lana Popham, who served as ag minister under Premier John Horgan.
Popham will remain in Eby’s cabinet as the minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport. Melanie Mark, who previously held that portfolio, left cabinet in September.
Voters elected Alexis to the B.C. legislature in 2020.
From 2018 to 2020 she served as the mayor of Mission.
And before entering politics, Alexis spent time involved with multiple organizations including rotary clubs, the Mission Chamber of Commerce and she’s a former vice president of the BC Winter Games.
Premier Eby’s full cabinet is as follows:
- Premier: David Eby
- Agriculture and Food: Pam Alexis
- Attorney General: Niki Sharma
- Children and Family Development: Mitzi Dean
- Citizens' Services: Lisa Beare
- Education and Child Care: Rachna Singh
- Minister of State for Child Care: Grace Lore
- Emergency Management and Climate Readiness: Bowinn Ma
- Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation: Josie Osborne
- Environment and Climate Change Strategy: George Heyman
- Finance: Katrine Conroy
- Forests: Bruce Ralston
- Health and Minister Responsible for Francophone Affairs: Adrian Dix
- Housing and Government House Leader: Ravi Kahlon
- Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation: Murray Rankin
- Jobs, Economic Development and Innovation: Brenda Bailey
- Labour: Harry Bains
- Mental Health and Addictions: Jennifer Whiteside
- Municipal Affairs: Anne Kang
- Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills: Selina Robinson
- Public Safety and Solicitor General: Mike Farnworth
- Social Development and Poverty Reduction: Sheila Malcolmson
- Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport: Lana Popham
- Transportation and Infrastructure: Rob Fleming