The 2015 Manure Expo is coming to Chambersburg, PA, on July 14-15.
The goal of the Manure Expo is to bring farmers, certified haulers, researchers, extension educators, government agency personnel, and equipment dealers to share their knowledge around this important part of agriculture. With farm tours, educational sessions, and equipment demonstrations, it will be “manure than you can handle!" This year’s Expo site will be located on Ingram Drive, just off of Route 81 in Chambersburg.
- Tuesday, July 14 is the Tour Day. Participants can choose from one of four tours. All tours will leave from and return to the Expo site. Lunch will be provided.
- The Dairy Agitation Tour will travel to Mercer Vu Dairy, Slate Ridge Dairy, and then to BurkLea Farms for the agitation demonstrations. Static draglines, calf feeding systems, feed management, anaerobic digestion, and cropping and manure strategies are just a few of the topics to be discussed.
- The Agitation Only Tour will travel to BurkLea Farms for the agitation demonstrations.
- The Poultry Tour will travel to Lesher Poultry, Hillandale Poultry, and Energy Works. Layer manure composting, compost turner demonstrations, enriched colony layer housing facility, and poultry manure gasification will be discussed.
- The Equine Small Beef Farm Tour will travel to the equine facilities at Wilson College and the Kiskaddon Beef Farm. Topics include manure collection and storage, heavy use areas, pasture evaluation, concrete barnyard improvements, and irrigation of grey water.
All tours will return to the Expo site around 5:00pm. The Trade Show will be open until 8:30pm. Educational sessions will also be available that evening.
On Wednesday, July 15, the Trade Show and educational sessions will continue.
- Grounds open at 7:30am.
- Educational sessions will be held from 8:00am – 9:30am.
- Solid manure demonstrations will take place from 10:30am – 12:00pm.
- Liquid manure demonstrations will take place from 2:00pm – 3:30pm.
- A live action spill response will be demonstrated from 4:00pm – 4:30pm.
- The trade show will close at 5:00pm, but the grounds will remain open for educational sessions from 5:00pm – 6:30pm.