Home   News

A bit about the A2 mystery in milk

Doesn’t milk seem like a simple, straightforward food? I started reading about A2 milk recently and behind that pristine exterior is some complex chemistry that may affect your digestion.

Casein proteins, make up about 80 per cent of total protein content of cow’s milk. Whey proteins make up the other 20 per cent.

There are in turn several types of casein in milk, with beta-casein being the second most prevalent, existing in at least thirteen different forms with the two most common being A1 and A2 beta-casein.

Milk from cattle breeds originating in northern Europe like Holstein, are generally high in A1 beta-casein.

Milk that is high in A2 beta-casein is found in breeds with origins in the Channel Islands and southern France including Guernsey, Jersey, Charolais, and Limousin. Human beings also produce A2 milk.

Management (regenerative/organic) is also a clear determinant of A2 status.

Regular milk contains both A1 and A2 beta-casein, but A2 milk contains only A2 beta-casein. A2 milk is said to be easier to digest with less links to inflammation and gut discomfort.

For more news you can use subscribe here and get Small Farm Canada delivered straight to your door!

Source : Small Farm Canada

Trending Video

Sheep Farming: The Running Of The Ewes!

Video: Sheep Farming: The Running Of The Ewes!

Today at Ewetopia Farms, it is time for the running of the ewes! All the sheep are very excited to go out to pasture, and it is like a stampede as we open the gates and release them. We check up on our lamb who has been struggling. We also check how that loud ewe with her lambs is doing today. We also have a visit with a few of the special sheep on the farm. We end the day dealing with a muddy mess as we go to check on the state of our fields prior to planting.

Sheep and sheep farming is our passion and we hope that the love we have for what we do is obvious to you the viewers. Our operation is a large scale, registered Suffolk and Poll Dorset sheep farm combining the best of pasture and confinement to manage the flock for maximum comfort, minimal stress, and producing a consistent, very high quality product. Our focus is on providing breeding stock for sale to other sheep producers. All our sheep are treated with the utmost compassion which I think will become evident as you join us on our daily rounds on our working sheep farm in eastern Ontario, Canada.

I hope you enjoy this video. If you would like to follow along with us and experience life on a real live sheep farm on a daily basis, please subscribe so that you don't miss a single episode!

Thank you for taking the time to watch! We love to hear from you so be sure to leave a comment as well.