From : Chicken Farmers of Ontario
GUELPH, ON – April 19, 2017 - Ed Benjamins, Chair of Chicken Farmers of Ontario (CFO), presented a strong case for growth in the chicken sector at the 2017 Agricultural Lenders' Conference in Guelph. Benjamins noted that the sector had increased production by over five percent in 2015 and in 2016, and that the industry is still expecting further growth in 2017. The conference is hosted by the Poultry Industry Council and attracted more than 30 agricultural lending specialists from across the major financials institutions. Other presentations at the conference included reports from poultry sector partners, the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs and suppliers to the Ontario poultry industry.
Benjamins, who farms near Moorefield, Ontario, noted that there were five key arguments for ongoing industry growth in the Ontario chicken sector. They include:
- Chicken protein’s alignment with current and emerging consumer tastes;
- The industry’s size and scale in the Ontario market which fosters increased market and product innovation;
- CFOs strength in supporting strategies to expand the industry’s profit pools;
- The recent introduction of a chicken industry digital network (CFO Connects) which will improve efficiencies and analytical capabilities;
- Progressive supply management leadership that is focused on transparency, accountability and leadership.
Source : Chicken Farmers of Ontario