Home   Ag Industry News

Inventory of pigs and hogs in U.S.A. up by 2 %

66.1 million hogs and pigs as of Dec. 1

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) surveyed over 10,000 swine operators across the country; the research revealed the country’s pork inventory is on the rise.

In December 2013 the pork and hog inventory hovered between 61 and 62 million. 2014’s numbers show the numbers have increased to just over the 66 million mark.

Among the findings were:

  • Of the 66.1 million hogs and pigs accounted for, 60.1 (90%) were market hogs, leaving the other 10% (5.97 million hogs) for breeding.
  • From September to November 2014, 29.4 million pigs were weaned at U.S. farms. Up 4% from about 28.2 million counted at the same time in 2013.
  • Hog producers estimate they can have 2.87 million sows farrow between December 2014 and February 2015, and 2.90 million between March and May 2015.
  • With their 20.9 million hogs, Iowa produced the most inventory in the United States. North Carolina and Minnesota rounded out the top three states with the largest inventories.

Current information shows pork exports to be over $4.7 billion. The top three countries importing U.S. pork are Mexico, Japan, and Canada.

When it comes to countries importing pork into the U.S. markets, Canada, Denmark, and Poland make up the top three.

Trending Video

Strategies to Grow Potatoes

Video: Strategies to Grow Potatoes

Canadian farmers grow some of the best in the world... Today, farmers have access to more tools to optimize the quality and quantity of their harvest than ever before. From planting, to pest control, to harvesting, greater access to technology and plant science tools have helped farmers grow increasingly healthy and sustainable crops.