By Tracy Turner , Greg LaBarge
Growers who want to learn more about corn yield optimization, corn seed treatments and high-input soybean production can take advantage of a series of upcoming webinars taught by agronomists from Ohio State University's College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.
The webinars will offer participants insight into some of the key issues in grain production including updated information on fungicides and resistance as well as weed control, said Greg LaBarge, an Ohio State University Extension field specialist and one of the leaders of Ohio State's Agronomic Crops Team.
The team also includes scientists from the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center. OSU Extension and OARDC are the outreach and research arms, respectively, of the college.
"The advantage of offering these workshops via webinars is that it gives participants the opportunity to learn the latest agronomic information from their local Extension office or at home if there is not a location near them," LaBarge said. "They can also view the recording any time after it is posted."
The webinars will be Feb. 11, 7-8:30 p.m. and Feb. 25 from 10 a.m. to noon and repeated at 7-8:30 p.m. The webinars also will be recorded and available to view online 10 days after the program.
Feb. 11 topics:
- High Input Soybean Production by Laura Lindsey, OSU Extension specialist, soybean and small grains production.
- Updates on Fungicides and Resistance, Soybean Cyst Nematode and Seed Treatments by Anne Dorrance, OSU Extension specialist, plant pathology and soybeans.
Feb. 25 topic:
- Managing Herbicide Site of Action by Mark Loux, OSU Extension specialist, weed management.
Participants can view the webinars at their county Extension office at the posted times and dates. To find locations, go to http://agcrops.osu.edu/calendar for county locations.
Participants can also sign up for connection details to view at home by visiting http://go.osu.edu/cswconnect2014.
Participants who have signed up for connection details to view at home can also view a webinar on corn production that was recorded Jan. 14, at http://go.osu.edu/cswconnect1-14-14.
The webinar features the following topics:
- Optimizing Corn Yields-Assessing the Contribution of Key Agronomic Management Factors, by Peter Thomison, OSU Extension specialist, corn production.
- Seed Treatments in Corn: Impacts on Pests and Pollinators, by Andy Michel, OSU Extension specialist, field crops entomology, and Reed Johnson, an apiculture entomologist with OARDC.
Source : purdue.edu