Seven public meetings will be held
By Diego Flammini, Farms.com
Manitoba’s provincial government is calling upon farmers and agricultural stakeholders to participate in seven public consultations about agricultural risk management being held throughout the province.
“The task force appointed earlier this year is making good progress and we now want to hear directly from those most affected by agricultural risk management programs and climate-related challenges,” said Minister Ron Kostyshyn. “This is important work that will guide our government’s direction in the years to come and the task force provides the best platform to hold discussions with industry stakeholders and the public.”
The Agriculture Risk Management Review Task Force will focus the meetings on current programs and their abilities to protect Manitoba’s agricultural industry as it battles climate change. The meetings are scheduled for:
- Melita, Town Hall, July 9, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.;
- Swan River, Westwood Inn, July 13, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.;
- Dauphin, St. Viator’s Roman Catholic Church, July 14, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.;
- Arborg, Arborg Bifrost Community Centre, July 20, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.;
- Portage la Prairie, Canad Inns Destination Centre, July 21, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.;
- Beausejour, Sandy-Salteaux Spiritual Centre, July 27, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.; and
- Morris, Morris United Church, July 28, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
“We are following through on our commitment to review existing programs and consider options that will be more predictable, comprehensive and sustainable for farmers and governments,” the minister said. “I look forward to hearing from Manitobans as part of the task force’s work.”
Can’t make the meetings but still want to participate?
People can submit written responses until September 30th. They should focus on issues with current risk management programs or any adjustments and alternatives. An online questionnaire will also be posted on the Manitoba Department of Agriculture’s website.
Tell us your thoughts on the upcoming public meetings. Will you attend? What kinds of concerns and opinions would you share?