Home   Ag Industry News

Ont. gov’t clarifies Bill 156 signage

Ont. gov’t clarifies Bill 156 signage

Under the Security from Trespass and Protecting Food Safety Act, farmers must only mark specific types of animal protection zones with signs 

By Jackie Clark
Staff Writer

Some confusion exists around the requirements for signage on farms for protection under the Security from Trespass and Protecting Food Safety Act, 2020 (The Act), formerly known as Bill 156. checked in with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) to gain clarity of producer responsibilities.

The Act aims to provide safe work conditions for producers and livestock, as well as protect animals from stress and preserve biosecurity.

“The Act establishes animal protection zones on farms, animal processing facilities and other prescribed premises, where farm animals may be kept or located,” Christa Roettele, a spokesperson for OMAFRA, told “There are three types of Animal Protection Zones.”

  • Type A includes animal enclosures such as barns and fully fenced pastures
  • Type B zones are designated as an animal protection zone by the landowner or facility operator with signage
  • Type C specifies other areas defined by the regulation, such as rings where animals are shown

“Because each parcel of land is unique, the legislation authorizes an owner or occupier to create a Type B animal protection zone on their property,” Roettele explained. “The Minister’s Regulation outlines the conditions that must be met for an owner or occupier to create a Type B animal protection zone on the property.”

For example, the Type B zone designated by the owner or occupier cannot include the entire property and must only include areas where agricultural animals are “reasonably likely to be kept or located,” she added. The zone must not “impede access to the front door of any residence found on the property.”

To clarify, “signage is only required for Type B animal protection zones,” Roettele said. “For example, an animal enclosure (such as a barn or fenced pasture where farm animals are kept) would be a Type A animal protection zone and does not require signage.”

Signs designating Type B zones should be orange and large enough to contain a 30 cm diameter circle, she explained. The sign must be visible in daylight, clearly indicate the animal protection zone and clearly mark the boundaries of the zone.

Diane Kuhl\iStock\Getty Images Plus photo

Trending Video

Texas Cattle Feeders Talk Sustainability

Video: Texas Cattle Feeders Talk Sustainability

Michael Bezner of Bezner Beef, and Gene Lowrey of XIT Feeders, discuss some of the issues facing feedyard operators in Texas and how they work to ensure the health and welfare of the cattle in their care.

Comments (1)

Your email address will not be published

this act is important to farmers!
Bob |Feb 12 2021 8:36AM