Farms.com Home   Ag Industry News

Minn. farmers support a local family

Minn. farmers support a local family

A group of producers helped a family finish harvest after another farmer passed away

By Diego Flammini
Staff Writer
Farms.com

A group of Minnesota farmers put their harvests on hold to help a grieving family.

Zach Johnson, a fifth-generation farmer from Lowry, Minn., and others donated time and equipment to help a local family finish harvest after an unexpected passing of a relative.

Together, Johnson and other farmers used four combines to harvest 200 acres of soybeans for the Johnson family (no relation to Zach) while they were saying their final goodbyes to Norman, a farmer for 60 years, who passed away at the age of 85 on Oct. 24.

In addition, the local co-op sent trucks to the farm to transport the grain.

“When tough things happen to good people, you hope the communities will rally together and help out,” Zach told WCCO. “Someday, if my family needs help like that, I would certainly hope that what goes around comes around. In the meantime, we help out who we can.”

Johnson, who shares his ag experiences on his MN Millennial Farmer social media pages, posted a video from inside his combine cab during the harvest.

Instances like this can help dispel myths surrounding commercial agriculture.

“This is big, evil corporate factory farming, people helping people,” he said in the video. “We are still America’s farm families, more proud than ever to do what we do. And that’s provide the world with food, fiber, fuel, and help each other out.”

The video on Johnson’s Facebook page has been shared more than 100,000 times and has nearly 6,000 comments.

Some of those comments are from other farmers sharing similar experiences.

“We stopped corn harvest and went to a neighbor in need too to get 230 acres of beans out for him,” Nicholas Leonard Gotto, a farmer from Oto, Iowa, posted on the Facebook page.

Farms.com has reached out to Johnson for comment on the community harvest.


Trending Video

US “Flash Drought” Worst in 133-160 Years + Disease taking a Bite out of US 2025 Corn/Soybean Crops

Video: US “Flash Drought” Worst in 133-160 Years + Disease taking a Bite out of US 2025 Corn/Soybean Crops


A dry August and a “flash drought” in the ECB (Eastern Corn Belt) the driest top 10 to 15 years in 150 to 160 years (Ohio the driest in 133 years) plus disease is taking a bite out of the 2025 U.S. corn and soybean crops.
It's going to be an early harvest. This could be the start of the 89-year drought cycle that may have been delayed until 2026 as La Nina maybe returning.
The USDA September crop report is all about record corn ears and record soybean counts but the October USDA crop report will be about pod and ear weights.
Stats Canada reported higher forecasts for the 2025 Canadian Prairies all wheat and canola crops vs. last year based on satellite imagery but are they overestimating production?
The 2025 Great ON Yield Tour and Quebec crop tours are projecting corn and soybean crops below the 10-year average.
China's Vice Commerce Ministry Li Chenggang visits Washington this week as we continue to connect the dots is a positive sign towards a China/U.S. trade deal. But will U.S. farmers have a winter without China as they buy more soybeans from Uruguay/Argentina? U.S. Northern Plain soybean farmers are seeing red with flat prices at $8.97/bu!
U.S. corn exports on record pace up 99% vs. last year.
Fund short covering continues in corn futures bottom is in!