Canadian Dairy XPO Expecting 15,000 Visitors in Second Year
By Amanda Brodhagen, Farms.com
Dairy farmers from across Canada and abroad are expected to flock to Stratford, Ont. for an industry showcase – the Canadian Dairy XPO (CDX) – a two-day event Feb. 5 and 6, 2014.
The largest dairy show in Canada is taking place this week in the heart of Ontario’s dairy capitol, Stratford, Ont.
Perth County is home to the highest number of dairy farms in Ontario, followed closely by surrounding Oxford and Waterloo counties. Dairy farming is a profitable business for the region; the total farm cash receipts for the county tops $550 million, with dairy leading the way at more than $15 million.
“CDX is strategically positioned in Perth County because it is one of the most concentrated dairy production regions in Canada,” said Jordon Underhill, Founder and General Manager, Canadian Dairy XPO.
Organizers expect to break last year’s numbers. In 2013, the inaugural event drew more than 11,000 attendees, but this year they’re expecting close to 15,000 visitors from across Canada and 11 countries. “Last year producers came from afar, with 22% traveling over 150km to attend,” explained Underhill. “We expect these statistics to grow as well for CDX 2014,” he said.
New features/highlights of the show include:
- “TMR Superstore” – an area where dairy producers will be able to compare TMR mixer brands and models.
- Hay and forage equipment section – will feature a quality hay competition, which is open to seed companies and producers.
- “Dairy Classroom” program – expected to run both days from 10:00a.m. to 1:00p.m. daily (French translation services will also be available).
- Global Dairy Summit – an interactive panel of five producers from different counties will discuss the challenges and hot topics in the dairy industry (Thursday, Feb. 6 12:30 to 2:00p.m.)
- General admission $25 per person
- Complimentary breakfast daily (starting at 8a.m.)
- CheeseFEST Wednesday, Feb. 5, 4 to 7p.m. (complimentary)
“In just two days, farmers can compare features, benefits, and engage in conversations with company representatives on site,” said Underhill.
For more information about CDX visit their website at http://www.dairyxpo.ca/ or follow them on Twitter @CDN20131.